When it comes to healthy eating, there is often talk of so-called superfoods. Turmeric, like many others, is also one of them. But what exactly is turmeric and what is it supposed to help with? You have probably asked yourself these questions at some point.
We are glad that you came across our turmeric tablets review. Because here you will find all the necessary information, ranging from the question of what turmeric actually is, to the most important criteria when buying turmeric tablets.
The most important facts in brief
- Among other things, turmeric has an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and digestive effect.
- The bioavailability of curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, can be increased by adding black pepper.
- On the market, you can find turmeric tablets with animal casing, vegan variants, and other additional nutrients, such as vitamin C or magnesium.
Buying and evaluation criteria for turmeric tablets
When buying turmeric tablets you can pay attention to several aspects, such as:
- Quality of the ingredients.
- Suitability for vegans/allergy sufferers.
- The proportion of curcuminoids.
- Additional nutrients.
Consequently, we will explain the criteria you should pay attention to in a little more detail:
Quality of the ingredients
By carefully choosing the right turmeric tablets, you can make sure that you are not adding anything to your body that it does not need. High quality is thus very fundamental when deciding to buy the right product. (Source).
Therefore, you should check the manufacturers for certain certificates and, for example, the seal of approval.
Turmeric tablets that have high quality usually have one of the following labels:
- Free from artificial flavor enhancers.
- Free from preservatives.
- Free from artificial colorants.
- From organic cultivation.
Basically, it is recommended to reach for turmeric tablets from organic cultivation in addition to the common quality labels.
Suitability for vegans/allergy sufferers
People who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet should read the ingredients thoroughly in advance. It may be possible that certain additional nutrients are not plant-based. In addition, there is also the possibility that the shell of the tablets is made of animal gelatin.
For allergy sufferers, there is a risk of not reacting well to the addition of piperine, the active ingredient in pepper. If you ever feel that you cannot tolerate a product, it is especially important to search the ingredients of the turmeric tablets for this active ingredient.
Proportion of curcuminoids
The guideline for the proportion of curcumin in turmeric products is about 5%. The milligram specification of curcumin varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. This is because the information can refer to different specifications, such as the milligrams of curcumin in a capsule, a daily dose, or even the entire package.
Sometimes the quantity can also refer to the turmeric extract. It is therefore particularly important to read the quantity information carefully. First and foremost, because curcumin content is an important component of bioavailability.
Bioavailability is the measure of the proportion of the active ingredient that is available unchanged in the bloodstream.
In summary, it is important to pay close attention to the curcumin content of a turmeric tablet.
Turmeric tablets can contain the only turmeric or be enriched with pepper. However, there is also the possibility of finding a range of turmeric tablets that have a mixture of various other nutritional supplements.
Consequently, we have compiled a shortlist of the most common additional nutrients found in turmeric tablets:
- Vitamin B1.
- Vitamin B2.
- Vitamin B3.
- Vitamin B12.
- Vitamin C.
Adding some of these nutrients can highlight other positive effects as well. If you are unsure about some of these additives, it is best to consult your doctor beforehand to find the perfect turmeric tablets for you.
Best tablets with turmeric in Comparison
Best Organic Turmeric Tablets
The best turmeric tablets for joints & mobility support
The best turmeric tablets with MAX potency of turmeric extract
The turmeric tablets for cardiovascular support
Guide: Frequently asked questions about turmeric tablets answered in detail
In order to inform you comprehensively about the effectiveness of turmeric tablets and to bring you closer to the current state of science, we have summarized all the important information in the following sections.
What are turmeric tablets?
Turmeric comes from the ginger family. It is also known by the name yellow ginger, saffron root, or turmeric.
Curcumin is the antioxidant ingredient in turmeric that makes it a superfood. Curcumin is also responsible for yellow coloration. Since curcumin is poorly soluble in water, it is recommended to mix it with oil before ingesting it.
Turmeric is often mixed with pepper, as piperine, the active ingredient in pepper improves the absorption of curcumin into the bloodstream.
In addition to its antioxidant effects, turmeric also has anti-inflammatory and digestive properties.
What are the effects of turmeric tablets?
The effectiveness of turmeric in tablet form is very high, as the capsule shell only dissolves in the intestine and the contents can thus develop their full effect there. Turmeric in powder form is very poorly absorbed in the intestine due to its fat solubility.
Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is believed to have several beneficial health effects. Some of these properties include:
In addition, turmeric tablets have proven to have a positive effect on some other medical conditions.
Consequently, a small excerpt of the complaints that turmeric tablets could also counteract:
- Elevated cholesterol
A high cholesterol level can form due to oxidative stress. In this process, so-called free radicals are formed in the body. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric now counteracts these free radicals and reduces oxidative stress.
A dosage of about 500mg curcumin per day is recommended.
Fats that are ingested with food can thus be metabolized more easily and are not deposited in the blood vessels.
However, in order to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood, it is necessary to consume larger amounts of curcumin. Accordingly, it is particularly useful to take turmeric in tablet form.
Arthritis occurs when immune cells are channeled into joints and release pro-inflammatory substances. The joint that is affected consequently becomes inflamed. The anti-inflammatory property of curcumin can provide relief to inflamed joints. The inflammation of the joint is thus reduced. At the same time, turmeric has a positive effect on the pain caused by inflammation.
However, to treat arthritis, it is necessary to take a certain dose regularly.
It is known that osteoarthritis cannot be cured, but its symptoms can be alleviated with the help of certain remedies. Curcumin helps protect the cartilage cells that are affected in osteoarthritis. In addition, turmeric increases blood flow in the joint mucosa and thus helps to reduce pain.
In addition, turmeric reduces the development of a certain protein, so that swelling and inflammation occur much less frequently. By using turmeric at the same time, the dosage of painkillers can be reduced.
What should be considered before taking turmeric tablets?
Turmeric in tablet form is generally quite well tolerated. However, there are certain groups of people who should rather avoid the supplementary increase of turmeric tablets.
- People with an allergy to piperine: In most preparations, piperine, the active ingredient in pepper, is added because it facilitates the absorption of curcumin into the bloodstream. If you are allergic to piperine, you should pay special attention to the ingredients in order to purchase Curcuma tablets without black pepper.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women: Turmeric can have both negative and positive influences on pregnant women. Generally, the increase of turmeric tablets during pregnancy or breastfeeding should therefore be avoided to avoid any risk to the health of the child.
- Individuals taking blood-thinning medications: The risk of bruising and bleeding may be increased by increasing turmeric tablets.
What are the types of turmeric tablets?
Turmeric tablets can be found on the market in different ways. There are both tablets consisting of an animal shell, as well as a vegan variant to find. In addition, there is also the possibility to purchase Curcuma tablets, to which other vitamins are added in addition to the active ingredient curcumin.
We have summarized the respective advantages and disadvantages in the following table.
|Tablets with animal shell||Not allergenic||Capsules made from gelatin, the origin of gelatin often unknown|
|Vegan tablets||Absence of gelatin, positive for the environment||Lack of protein, possibly bitter taste|
|Tablets with special additives||Additional nutrients, cheaper than using several capsules||Overdose of other nutrients, insufficient Curcumin|
Both turmeric tablets with animal casing, and with possible animal additional nutrients are not suitable for vegans or vegetarians. However, there is a variant with vegan shell. Depending on the additional added vitamins, tablets suitable for vegans can also be found on the market.
How should turmeric tablets be dosed?
The dosage of turmeric in tablet form is basically dependent on what you want to achieve by taking it. Depending on whether you are taking it for disease-related purposes or as a dietary supplement, the dosage suggestions differ.
If the increase in turmeric should be due to an existing medical condition, you should contact your doctor in advance. He will recommend an appropriate dosage based on your personal medical history.
If you take turmeric tablets as a dietary supplement, it is recommended to follow the manufacturer’s dosage instructions.
Since the dose of curcumin can vary depending on the manufacturer, it is advisable to inform yourself in advance in order to possibly resort to a high-dose variant of the turmeric tablets. High-dose turmeric tablets are particularly suitable if you prefer to take only one tablet a day. This is because they usually contain the recommended daily dose in just one turmeric tablet.
What are the side effects of turmeric tablets?
Curcumin, the antioxidant ingredient in turmeric, very rarely causes side effects. For the most part, turmeric tablets are very easily tolerated. As long as you follow the manufacturer’s recommended dosage amount, consuming turmeric tablets should be safe.
What are the alternatives to turmeric tablets?
Besides turmeric in tablet form, there is also the possibility to reach for fresh turmeric, powder, or spice.
- Fresh turmeric: Fresh turmeric is the tubers of this ginger plant. The best way is to pour hot water over them, let it steep a little, and drink the resulting tea. Alternatively, it is possible to cut the tuber into small pieces and add to a salad.
- Turmeric powder: Turmeric powder is the pure, dried powder of the rootstock. It is best to add pepper yourself. Turmeric powder can be added to mueslis, porridge, or smoothies, for example.
- Turmeric spice: Turmeric as a spice can be found in its pure form but also as a mixture with pepper. However, the packages of turmeric spices are usually very small and therefore not suitable for daily consumption. Turmeric as a spice thus best suited as a mere flavorful addition in your dishes.
Turmeric for Inflammation: How Much is Enough? - Video
- Turmeric: best choice, effect & application
- Best liposomal turmeric: buying guide, effect & application
- Best turmeric capsules: buying guide, effect & application
- Turmeric for the skin: the most important questions and answers
- Turmeric side effects: The most important questions and answers
- The effect of turmeric: definition & explanations
- Taking turmeric: the most important questions and answers
- Dosage of turmeric: the most important questions and answers