Best shampoo for oily hair
Greasy hair is no fun. We know that.
If your hair is tending to oily hair, buying shampoo and conditioner can be frustrating. Many cleansing products tend to add extra oils and silicone ingredients to the hair, which can make your hair look heavier and less clean right after washing.
We have selected the best of them when it comes to oil repellent, scalp detoxifying shampoos for oily hair. Men and women have oily hair for a variety of reasons. It can be the result of seasonal changes, a side effect of certain medications, or it can be related to hormones.
Conditioner for oily hair Best Choice
Tea Tree Special Shampoo
Tea Tree Special Shampoo gently washes impurities away. This revitalizing cleanser is suitable for all hair types and leaves strands refreshingly clean and full of shine. Natural tea tree oil and peppermint soothe the scalp, while light lavender notes leave the hair smelling fresh.
Special ingredients and tea tree oil rid hair of impurities and leave hair full of vitality and luster.
Natural tea tree oil, peppermint and lavender invigorate the scalp and leave hair smelling great.
TOP Conditioner and Shampoo for Oily Hair
Moroccan Oil Clarifying Conditioner
- 4,8 Rating
- Free from parabens, sulfate, cruelty to animals. 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Tru Moroccan controls oily scalp by balancing the sebaceous glands
Tea Tree Special Shampoo
- 4, 9 Rating
- Moisturizes hair while bringing balance. Paraben-free. Vegan. Color safe
- Natural Ingredients, Contains No Parabens, Pabas Or harmful chemicals
Best shampoo and conditioner for oily hair
Shampoo and conditioner for oily hair
What is the best shampoo and conditioner for oily hair?
We have reviewed product ratings and ingredient lists to find the best shampoos and conditioners recommended for oily hair. These recommendations are based on the experiences of people like you as a consumer and on the recommendations of dermatologists.
Here is what you need to know.
What is the best shampoo and conditioner for oily hair?
Reasons for oily hair and scalp
Oily hair is the result of overactive sebaceous glands that produce too much sebum. Although sebum benefits the hair keeps it healthy and smooth and prevents it from drying out and breaking, too much sebum can make the hair look smooth and greasy. An excessively oily scalp can also be a nuisance and is associated with outbreaks of dandruff.
Common causes of greasy hair are:
- Heredity problems
- Unhealthy eating habits
- Improper hair care
The change of seasons, hormonal fluctuations and longer periods of stress can also affect greasy hair.
Tea Tree Special Shampoo
Tea tree shampoo tingles, invigorates and leaves locks healthy and full of luster. Great for all hair types, this invigorating cleanser leaves strands refreshingly clean and full of shine.
Tea tree oil improves oily scalp conditions
Tea Tree Special Shampoo gently washes impurities away. This revitalizing cleanser is suitable for all hair types and leaves strands refreshingly clean and full of shine. Natural tea tree oil and peppermint soothe the scalp, while light lavender notes leave the hair smelling fresh. Natural tea tree oil, peppermint, and lavender revitalize the scalp and leave hair smelling good.
Special ingredients and tea tree oil-free hair from impurities and leave a hair full of vitality and shine.
- Color safe
- The size of the bottle may be bigger
Natural Conditioner For Oily Hair
Made in the USA, Tru Moroccan Clarifying Conditioner is manufactured in a green laboratory powered by solar energy. We use only natural ingredients that don’t contribute to the pollution of our planet.
Relieves itchy scalp
Tru Moroccan Clarifying Conditioner, which is manufactured in the USA, is produced in a green, solar-powered laboratory. This product is free from cruelty. No animals have been used in the tests and none of its ingredients are derived from animals. All raw materials come from organically grown plants. Tru Moroccan Oil Hair Conditioner combines nature and science to provide the safest and most effective hair treatment on the market.
- Free from parabens, sulfate, GMOs, cruelty to animals, additives and preservatives, so you only use natural, herbal ingredients to pamper your hair.
- Restore softness and shine of your hair with natural oils and herbs.
- Tru Moroccan controls oily scalp by balancing the sebaceous glands.
- The smell of the conditioner is very special, not everyone will like it
Anti-Dandruff for Oily Hair & Flaky Scalp
Ideal for sensitive and healthy skin. Recommended by doctors for regular use. Inhibits bacteria unique after washing feeling. 28 years of experience in medical skin care.
50% Less Flakes after 14 days
While many of the ingredients found in the shampoos on this list can help with irritated scalp, the Sebamed Scalp Balancing Shampoo makes this it’s the main purpose. This Sebamed formula works against excess oil and flaky skin build-up by supporting the scalp’s natural barrier function and fighting bacteria. Its soothing properties help treat inflammation and itching, while clients with seborrheic dermatitis and eczema swear by it.
- Removes visible signs of dandruff
- 50% fewer flakes after 14 days
- Gently cleanses and soothes the irritated and flaky scalp
- Dermatologically and clinically tested
- The scent very specific
Puracy Natural conditioner is a balanced blend of plant-derived moisturizers
For every purchase, we make a donation to local children and families that are less fortunate.
Safe for all hair types, including those with sensitive skin
Puracy Natural Conditioner is a balanced blend of botanical moisturizers, emollients and essential oils that provide your hair with the moisture it needs. After experiencing the clean conditioner, your towel-dried hair will be noticeably easier to comb, brush and style. This premium blend of ingredients contains olive oil-based Squalene, which provides weightless moisture, prevents static, adds shine and ensures smooth hair. Designed for men and women with normal, oily, dry, color-treated, permed or other hair types.
- Made from a blend of natural moisturizers, botanical extracts and vegetable emollients
- Sulphate and paraben-free plant ingredients provide deep, weightless moisture
- No sulfates, formaldehyde, salicylates, parabens, phosphates, SLS, SLES, MEA, DEA, TEA, petroleum-based ingredients, animal by-products, perfume, dyes or corrosives
- Does not help with frizz control
CLn Shampoo is a high-performance therapeutic shampoo
CLn Shampoo removes unwanted oils, dead skin cells, dull residue and debris from pores and hair shafts.
Shampoo leaves nothing behind but healthy-looking hair and scalps
It comes with the effectiveness of salicylic acid, one of the pro ingredients for maximum hair and skin problems. An active shampoo is associated with so many illness-curing factors. This makes it one of the best choices in its price range.
However, it is best suited for people with natural to greasy hair. Irritated follicles are quickly restored with a few applications. You can literally feel the change from day one.
It is not only a good option for folliculitis, but also for other problems like dermatitis and dandruff. Even beard dandruff is curable with this excellent choice.
There is absolutely no odor or scent element that can harm. So even people with sensitive skin can rely on this. It also contains no triclosan, parabens or antibiotics. These are quite harmful for certain hair types, especially for oily scalps.
The product also eliminates any unwanted problem of oily, dead skin cells. It gently and evenly removes pore dirt or dull make-up residues.
- This shampoo is suitable for the beard.
- It comes with active salicylic acid for flakes.
- It removes dirt from the pores of the scalp.
- It does not contain perfumes, parabens, and harmful ingredients.
- It is a hypoallergenic product for sensitive scalp.
- The amount in a bottle is considerably less
Tea Tree Mint Shampoo & Conditioner
Infused with tea tree oil & peppermint for a refreshing tingle, our Hydrating Tea Tree Mint shampoo & conditioner helps hair feel deeply clean & hydrated.
Nourish the hair & scalp while hydrating strands for healthy-looking shine!
Give your hair new energy with this mixture of active ingredients. Australian tea tree oils, milk proteins, and micro-soaked peppermint help strengthen and moisturize your scalp and balance it. A three-in-one treatment in a refreshing formula. This product is good for daily use. Works well on all hair types: fine, dick, oily and frizzy
For best results, use the entire Hydrating+TeaTree Mint collection to help with daily moisture.
After shampooing, we recommend using the Hydrating+TeaTree Mint Conditioner to hydrate and restore shine to all hair types.
- Smells good
- Keeps the hair super soft
- If you use too much at once, the hair may become slightly flat.
Lemon tea tree for healthy lustrous hair
Shampoo, with its superior mix of botanical extracts, vitamins, and essential oils, is the perfect solution, imparting gorgeous, strong and shiny hair.
Formulated with a perfect pH leaving your hair stronger and glossier
Scalp Rescue Shampoo is your one-stop shampoo. It is gentle and suitable for everyone, color-safe and gluten-free. It has been developed for all hair types and thicknesses, whether curly or straight and is especially beneficial for people with dry or oily scalps. It washes out the hair and leaves a good feeling.
Its fresh unisex aroma comes from the essential oils of tea tree, lemon tea tree, lavender, rosemary, and geranium.
Scalp Rescue Shampoo contains the proprietary blend of ten herbs along with numerous botanical extracts and nutrients to ensure it is suitable for all scalp and hair types.
- Scalp Rescue Shampoo with its excellent blend of plant extracts, vitamins, and essential oils is the perfect solution and gives beautiful, strong and shiny hair.
- Formulated with a perfect pH value, which makes your hair stronger and shinier.
- Free of sulfates (including SLS and SLES), parabens, silicones, and DEA, TEA, propylene glycol and ethoxylated ingredients.
Fights Dandruff and Dry Scalp
Expertly formulated with hair and scalp loving ingredients, the hair shampoo works to promote refreshingly clean, hydrated hair and scalp.
Great for daily use and for all hair types, color-protected shampoo
This set of Botanical Hearth Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner is exactly the set you need to clean and condition your hair and treat your scalp. This shampoo is safe enough for daily use and provides quick results. It gently cleanses and conditions the scalp, making it healthier with every application.
With 100% pure tea tree oil and other beneficial and natural ingredients that soothe and nourish your scalp, this sulfate and paraben-free shampoo and care set for dry scalps are all you need to relieve the frustrating itchiness of dry scalps.
- High-quality ingredients
- Safe for color-treated hair
- 100% tea tree oil
- For daily use
- Very little fragrance
Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint & Eucalyptus for All Hair Types
Whether your hair is curly, thinning, or greying, a dry itchy scalp can lead to dandruff, flaking and damaged hair.
Shampoo uses essential oils and contains no artificial fragrance
The essential oil of eucalyptus, peppermint and tea tree contains properties that promote healthy hair and scalp. Whether your hair is curly, thin or gray, a dry, itchy scalp can lead to dandruff, flaking and damaged hair. This shampoo is paraben, DEA and sodium lauryl sulfate-free, so it will not dry out your hair and scalp.
Whether your hair is long or short, this shampoo penetrates to the roots to promote healthier and better-looking hair.
- Peppermint and tea tree oils with their natural properties help to reduce scalp irritations
- Our shampoo uses essential oils and contains no artificial fragrances.
- Our typical fragrance consists of a mixture of peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil.
- Perfect for curly, straight, thin, thick, dry or greasy hair
- Means a fresher shampoo with fresher ingredients
- Smells strongly of mint
Eucalyptus and Peppermint
Naturally moisturizing Aloe and Argan Oil with hair-balancing Vitamin E & Pro-Vitamin B5.
Bottle is made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic and is recyclable
Supply your hair with more than 65 essential vitamins and nutrients and use the power of the ocean to get stronger and healthier looking hair. Seaweed Bath Co. shampoos are uniquely formulated with nutrient-rich organic bladderwrack algae, sustainably harvested by hand off the coast of Maine, in the USA. This shampoo also contains moisturizing aloe and argan oil as well as hair balancing vitamin E and pro-vitamin B5. It is suitable for all hair types, including color-treated hair. Made with natural and high-quality ingredients, free of SLS, parabens, dyes, and gluten. These argan oil shampoos are vegan and free from cruelty (not tested on animals) and Leaping Bunny certified
- Naturally moisturizing Aloe and Argan oil with hair balancing Vitamin E & Pro-Vitamin B5
- The balancing formula cleans and nourishes your hair and scalp while providing healthy moisture and shine.
- For normal to oily hair, but safe for all hair types, including color-treated hair.
- NO dyes, parabens, SLS, fragrances or gluten
- The shampoo itself is a little watery
Gentle enough for everyday cleansing
The highest quality ingredients for your skin. No parabens, sulfates, formaldehyde, paraffin, mineral oil or animal testing allowed.
Your goal: Performance Driven Hair Care
The hair care collection of ACURE is performance-oriented and free of parabens, sulfates, and animal testing. They provide the highest quality ingredients for your skin. No parabens, sulfates, formaldehyde, paraffin, mineral oil or animal testing is allowed. These products are always uplifting, for skin & hair that gives its best and a planet that blooms. ACURE blends the perfect combination of super nutrients for high-performance products.
- Performance-oriented hair care
- Gentle enough for daily cleansing.
- Enhances shine and moisturizes and lemongrass refreshes
- Vegan and certified cruelty-free. Also, free of paraben, sulfate, mineral oil, petrolatum, and formaldehyde
- The scent is very specific
Clarifying Shampoo Sulfate Free
Jojoba rosemary formula hydrates hair follicles from the inside while protecting from environmental pollutants.
Hair loss solution uses basil & cypress for healthy hair care
Do you have hair that becomes greasy just a few hours after washing? Does your hair have the right volume when drying, but soon looks lifeless and flat? This exclusive blend of clarifying essential oils gently cleanses the hair and clears the scalp for voluminous, non-greasy hair. Energizing oils such as Lemon, Cyprus, and Rosemary revitalize the strands, while Peach Kernel and Jojoba Oil moisturize for clean, soft hair.
The degreasing shampoo is specially formulated to deeply cleanse the scalp and expose clogged hair follicles so you can both see and feel the cleansing.
- Removes oil and grease deposits on your scalp. The natural clarifying treatment with essential lemon oil restores a healthy balance of sebum and pH in skin and hair
- Relieves itching caused by germs on the scalp.
- Cleans and minimizes pores while improving the scalp’s blood circulation. This alternative solution for hair loss uses basil and cypress to care for healthy hair
- The scent is very specific
Natural oil formula which revives all hair types
Healthy Scalp Cleanser for Colored Dry, oily, thick and Fine Natural Hair Care for Silky Soft Hair
Encourages hair growth and better scalp circulation
Honeydew Tea Tree Supreme Shampoo is an amazingly effective anti-dandruff treatment for men and women who are struggling with dandruff, itching, flaking, and irritated scalp. Finally, the healing formula helps relieve your unpleasant scalp problems with a soothing natural oil that takes a different approach to fighting your frustrating dandruff.
The secret of this anti-dandruff shampoo is the wonderful blend of natural ingredients – 100% pure tea tree oil, rosemary essential oil, and jojoba work in harmony to combat dandruff, flaking, and itching and hair loss. This natural shampoo has antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal properties that cleanse the scalp and promote healthy hair follicles for fast and healthy hair growth.
- Fights hair loss, itching, dandruff, acne, and irritation
- Great for all hair types, including curly hair, straight hair, wavy hair, fine hair, thick hair
- Promotes hair growth and better blood circulation of the scalp
- Gently dissolves, cleanses and nourishes the hair
- You need much more quantity to have enriched foam in your hair
Conditioner Infused with Australian Tea Tree Oils
Hair care products are designed to bring out the best in your hair, no matter what type or texture.
A unique blend of Australian tea tree oils, milk proteins and micro-infused peppermint.
When a conditioner soaked in Australian tea tree oil meets milk proteins and micro-soaked peppermint oils, you have an energizing blend that makes your hair dizzy and gives it a full-bodied shine.
Infused with Australian tea tree oil, peppermint extract and witch hazel, which makes the hair shiny and moisture-retaining. After shampooing, apply a conditioner and work through the hair ends, as it is an excellent frizz remover for thicker strands. Leave on for up to 5 minutes and then rinse. With its light, sulfate-free formula, this refreshing conditioner is a great hair care product for fine hair, straight hair, curly hair, thick hair, coarse hair, and damaged hair.
- Its daily use formula helps to smooth hair and reduce the appearance of split ends to give it a healthy look
- The TeaTree mint formula of OGX is suitable for straight hair, curly hair, thick hair, and thin hair. Its daily use formula helps to smooth hair and reduce the appearance of split ends to give it a healthy look
- Helps to nourish, rejuvenate and detangle hair as it works deep into every strand of hair
- Not suitable for dry hair or split ends
Key features of greasy hair conditioners
While some products can do wonders for your greasy hair (hello, dry shampoo!), there are others that only make the problem worse. Therefore, when choosing your styling products, we advise you to avoid products called “shine-enhancing” or “anti-frizz” products, as they are usually made with a type of oil that will end up just weighing down your hair, making it look greasy. Instead, look for products with voluminous properties that lift your hair and prevent it from coming into contact with your oily roots.
If your hair tends to be oily or greasy, you can leave out conditioner altogether and probably often find that your hair feels worse from a conditioner. While some people are lucky enough to skip the conditioner, there are conditioners that can help reduce the oil. Here’s what to look out for and what to avoid when choosing a shampoo for oily scalps:
- Avoid conditioners that are “hydrating”, “moisturizing”, “smoothing” or otherwise considered good for curly hair. These conditioners tend to store too much moisture at once and cause your hair to become limp.
- Look for labels that say “voluminous”, “light”, “strengthening” or “balancing”. Extra protein is a good thing for oily hair. These products are less moisturizing and more effective in removing excess oil.
- If your hair is fine and greasy, try a conditioner first and then shampoo.
How often should you use a conditioner for oily hair?
According to most dermatologists and hairdressers, men should wash with shampoo on average every two to three days – depending on how greasy your hair gets – and no more than three times a week.
You can use the conditioner directly after the shampoo or alone. The general recommendation is a few times a week. Common sense is widely used: If your hair is superfine and prone to greasiness, you should use conditioner less often.
Best shampoo brands for oily hair
From the budget-friendly OGX Tea Tree Mint Shampoo, which specifically promotes oil production by rebalancing the scalp while hydrating the hair. It’s perfect for thicker hair types that don’t want to be deprived of moisture but still need a freshness boost.
Then there is the classic Bumble & Bumble Sunday Shampoo, which is the ultimate detoxification for oily hair. It frees your curls from all deposits (from harmful substances to excess oil and hard water to styling products) and leaves your hair feeling light and clean. Seriously, if you want a shampoo that has an effect, this is the one for you.
Whatever your budget and however greasy your scalp is, there is a shampoo that will make your hair happy, believe us.
Best conditioners and shampoos for greasy roots and dry ends
Kérastase Specifique Balancing Shampoo is perfect for hair with oily scalp and dry ends, as the product helps to rebalance the hair and maintain healthy curls. A healthier scalp means healthier hair.
Use dry shampoo
Instead of washing your hair every time you exercise or as soon as it starts to look greasy, simply apply a little dry shampoo to your roots. Along with absorbing the oils, it will help you increase the volume so your hair looks refreshed.
Best luxury brands of conditioners for oily hair
You may not have heard of Alterna, but it is a brand you definitely want to invest in. Its products are formulated without parabens, sulfates, silicones, and chemical pests and leave an incredible feeling in your hair. Even Katie Holmes is a big fan. We love the Bamboo Glow Shampoo and Conditioner Duo, which gives us light volume and beautiful shine.
We could not talk about first-class beauty without mentioning Kérastase. As pioneers in the hair care industry, their products are loved by celebrities and supermodels alike, including Taylor Swift and Candice Swanepoel.
One of our favorites is the Intense for Fine Hair mask, as it leaves our curls well-conditioned without weighing them down. Applying a hair mask once a week can seriously change the health and vibrancy of your hair, and this mask by Kérastase is our absolute favorite.
There are tons of great products for your hair that focus on eliminating oil while maintaining the shine of your strands. Don’t try to be an impulsive buyer when considering products. Remember, you may need to try a few before you find what works best for you.
Products that use natural ingredients such as cider vinegar and tea tree oil are a good start.